Sick and tired

I missed work Tuesday because I was sick. Really I was tired, but the coughing (which has forced my husband to sleep in the guest room five of the last seven nights) and the pile of used tissues flowing out of the trash can at my bed side are proof enough that a little sickness was involved.

I used to be one of those people who, even whilst ill, would check her CrackBerry 72 jillion times and worry about what wasn’t getting done because she wasn’t there. But maternity leave taught me one thing – that place can definitely get by without me.

So I spent most of yesterday in bed, and, when I was feeling better and my husband had to go to work for election night (I did throw on a sweatshirt over my jammie pants and go vote about 9:45 a.m.), was able to handle the toddler rodeo.

So I didn’t check in with the office, I didn’t monitor my e-mail or check my phone messages from home. And I didn’t even feel guilty about it, not one tiny bit. I went in a little bit earlier than normal this morning, and nothing had burned down, exploded or collapsed, though they are remodeling three offices down the hall from me.

This, I think, counts as doing something for ME. I rested. And because of that, I felt 70 percent better today (I’m still braying like a donkey every 10 minutes or so) and was better able to contribute to the success of my job. Go, me!

And little R., ever the compassionate soul, would look up from various amusements of wrapping herself up in a blanket, burrito-style and rolling across the room or emptying every toy out of her toybox to pat my arm or my cheek soothingly and say, “’kay, Mommy. ‘kay Mommy. Night-night” before going back to her play.

Maybe I didn’t get any job-work done, but my Life’s Work is going swimmingly.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in I'm a mommy, I'm a wife, I'm a worker bee. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Sick and tired

  1. Sarah says:

    I’m glad you took some “you” time. That’s the part I worry about most; I’m a lot like you in that I can’t. let. things. go. Because how will they survive without me?! Surely they’d rather have me in the office, hacking up a lung, than not have me at all, right? (not.)

  2. Vixen says:

    Good job taking care of yourself! Glad you are 70% better. Hoping the other 30% comes back soon.

  3. noodle says:

    You needed that time to feel better…good for you! It sounds like you had the cutest lil’ nurse in all the world.

  4. Jennie says:

    Oh my I want a baby. My dog doesn’t nearly pat me often enough.

    I am glad you are feeling better!

  5. Jennie says:

    Also, did you design your site?

  6. rimarama says:

    I’m all about mental health days. I’m glad that you took the time you needed for yourself and you didn’t feel guilty about it. It’s so sweet how little R. was checking up on you, too. They really pick up on that kind of thing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s